200 Hillvue Lane, Pittsburgh, PA 15237
The Music Department has a Philosophy:
Every known civilization has utilized music for satisfying multi-dimensional human needs. Music is the aural art form that satisfies the need to respond emotionally to human experiences. Through listening, performing, creating and responding to music,21st Century Skills can be achieved.
The Music Department believes that the role of music instruction in the schools is to enhance and expand creativity, critical thinking, communication, collaboration, problem solving, literacy, flexibility, self-direction, social, cross-cultural, productivity, accountability, leadership, and responsibility in students through the integration of music in the teaching/learning process. Music education is both an individual process and a collaborative group experience that provides an enduring understanding of concepts that transcends grade levels and enables responsible individuals to become contributing members of society and to communicate in a global society.
Furthermore, the Music Department believes that the music education curriculum has the following unique and essential responsibilities:
· To heighten the aesthetic development by affecting sensitivity to musical sound.
· To help students attain proficiency so that they may become active participants in music.
· To help students attain the highest level of musical understanding of which they are capable.
· To help students attain an eclectic and multi-cultural perspective through exposure to all music and recognition of its value.
· To create learners who demonstrate self-motivation and direction, engage in collaborative learning, appreciate the importance of life-long learning, and reflect upon their learning process.
· To create thinkers who understand and employ skills of thinking critically, analytically and reflectively, express themselves imaginatively, effectively solve problems, and formulate well-informed personal, social, and academic decisions.
· To create communicators who express their thoughts clearly and coherently, and adapt to emerging technologies.
· To create graduates who recognize the importance of leadership and collaboration, solve inter-personal conflict through negotiation skills, demonstrate ethical responsibility, convey self-confidence and motivation, embrace a well-rounded approach to learning, understand the importance of emotional and physical health, appreciate diversity, and are active in their community.
The Music Department has a Mission:
We will promote the acceptance and adoption of the Pennsylvania Standards for Dance, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts in general and music in particular.
We will give all students an opportunity to access the experiences necessary to realize and surpass the national and state standards.
We will develop and produce new and innovative ways to give our students, parents and all other internal and external clients musical skills and knowledge in interactive and participatory ways.
We will continue to promote and foster client support groups and arts advocacy organizations.
We will continue to develop and produce outreach programs, business, partnership programs and joint ventures with local agencies and organizations in the arts, in education and in business.
We will continue to be sensitive to the concerns of our diverse community and apply that sensitivity in all aspects of program development.
Thank you for visiting the NA Music Department site.